There is a common misconception that the Product Owner is just a Business Analyst with a new suit and a better title. While the two share many skills in common, the roles are really quite different. According to the Agile Atlas: ”The Product Owner is the single individual who is responsible for drawing out the most valuable possible product by the desired date.”
- A clear understanding of the business needs
- A clear vision of where the product needs to go
- Enough budgetary authority that they can make decisions about product features without having them changed later.
- They must be able to get answers to the team’s questions rapidly (think minutes and occasionally hours)
- Rarely available to answer the team’s questions
- Doesn’t talk to end-users directly instead just talks to their managers or admins
- In a large organization there are often many levels of people between the PO and the actual users of the Product