Have you been using Remote Desktop to work on a two monitor machine? Have you ever had a modal dialog from your current application open on that other machine? I have. It happens nearly every time I remote desktop. Now here’s the solution:
- Make sure the application has focus.
- Press Alt-Space (displays the windows menu)
- Press M (for Move)
- Press an arrow key – to lock in the move mode.
- Move the mouse until the offending dialog appears
- Click a mouse button to end the move operation.
Dead simple really. Its amazing how useful keyboard navigation can be. Thanks to Chris Anderson and Craig Andera on the Win Tech Off Topic mailing list for answering my question.
Ken Kozman suggested an alternative: Version 6.0 of the RDP client allows you to have a Remote Desktop session that spans two screens. The only downside the screens have to be the same size – my laptop is 1024 x 768 and the 21″ CRT beside it is 1600 x 1200. Yes its a CRT – very good for photographic editing its tough to get an LCD with blacks as good as CRT. The limitation is the backlight.